Welcome to our site

At the beginning of the year 2012, Carey and I went on a low-carb diet. Now notice, I didn't say no carb diet. Low-carb. We have lost weight, which we are greatly happy about. And we have begun cooking a lot more than what we had been doing. There are TONS of receipes online and I recently bought a huge cookbook that we can't wait to break in to.

Posted are the receipes we try. Some we like, some we don't. As we try them, I will post them for you to try. We do hope you like them and like the idea of low-carbs.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Mexicali Meat Loaf

This is so easy to make.  Just make sure you allow the long cooking time.  It was amazing!  Once it was done and on my plate, I added a little salsa to the top.  I had with a salad and the raspberry fool that is on the blog. 

1 pound ground beef
1 pound mild pork sausage
1 cup crushed plain prok rinds
1 can diced mild green chilies
1 medium onion, finely chopped (I use the frozen kind)
8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (I did Colby/Monterey Jack)
3/4 cup salsa
1 egg
2 cloves garlic, crushed (I use the jar kind)
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

Combine all the ingredients in a really big bowl and then with clean hands knead it all until it's thoroughly blended.

Dump it out on a clean broiler rack (I used a cookie sheet with edges) and form into a loaf - it'll be a big loaf!

Yield 8 servings

Each with 5 grams of carboyhdrates and 1 gram of fiber, for a total of 4 grams of usable carbs and 28 grams of protein.

If you are chopping the onion yourself, make sure it is chopped quite fine for the loaf.  If the pieces are too big, it tends to make the loaf fall apart when you cut it.  The Mexicali Meat Loaf may crumble a bit anyway because it is quite tender.


Recipe came from 1001 Low-Carb Recipes by Dana Carpender

2 comments: