Welcome to our site

At the beginning of the year 2012, Carey and I went on a low-carb diet. Now notice, I didn't say no carb diet. Low-carb. We have lost weight, which we are greatly happy about. And we have begun cooking a lot more than what we had been doing. There are TONS of receipes online and I recently bought a huge cookbook that we can't wait to break in to.

Posted are the receipes we try. Some we like, some we don't. As we try them, I will post them for you to try. We do hope you like them and like the idea of low-carbs.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Slice of Mushroom Heaven

This was listed as a side dish, but I used it as a main dish for me.  You MUST like, and I mean realllly like, mushrooms for this one.  It was pretty good.  I think next time I will add in some green peppers and maybe use a different cheese.  I ended up also adding a little salt and pepper on the top. 

4 tablespoons butter
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped (I used the frozen, already chopped kind)
1 clove garlic, crushed (I used the jar kind)
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups half-n-half
3 eggs
1 teaspoon salt or Vege-Sal
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 cups shredded Gruyere cheese, divided (I used Swiss since I couldn't find the cheese and it's from the Swiss family)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat and begin frying the mushrooms, onion, and garlic.  When the mushrooms are limp, turn the heat up a bit and boil off the liquid.  Stir in the white wine and cook until that's boiled away, too.

Stire in the lemon juice and turn off the heat.  Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and stir in the half-and-half, eggs, salt, peper, and 2 cups of the cheese.

Spray and 8x8 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray and spread the mushroom mixture evenly over the bottom.  Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and bake for 50 minutes or until the cheese on top is golden.

Yield:  9 servings

Each with 5 grams of carbohydrates and 1 gram of fiber, for a total of 4 grams of usable carbs and 13 grams of protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment