Welcome to our site

At the beginning of the year 2012, Carey and I went on a low-carb diet. Now notice, I didn't say no carb diet. Low-carb. We have lost weight, which we are greatly happy about. And we have begun cooking a lot more than what we had been doing. There are TONS of receipes online and I recently bought a huge cookbook that we can't wait to break in to.

Posted are the receipes we try. Some we like, some we don't. As we try them, I will post them for you to try. We do hope you like them and like the idea of low-carbs.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Southwestern Stuffed Peppers

This has to bake for a long time, so it's not something you can throw together quickly.  Plan for this one.

I have this baking right now so havn't actually had a chance to taste it.  I did use the three peppers, but I could have got away with four as this made a TON of filler.  I'll update tonight after I have had a chance to try them.

I forgot to update this last night.  Okay, these turned out very well.  I thought they would be a little spicer with the Rotel, but they really weren't.  They had a slight kick to it, but not like I thought it would.  So I froze some and then put the leftovers, individually wrapped in SaranWrap, in the fridge.  I just had one heated up in the microwave and it turned out fine.  Not soggy or anything and actually tasted a bit better after it sat overnight.  So I will do these again.

1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion (I used the already chopped, frozen kind)
1 clove garlic, crushed (I used the jar garlic)
1 can tomatoes with green chilies, divided (Rotel)
1 egg
1/2 cup half-n-half
1/2 cup prok rind crumbs (I bought some at Aldi's and just put some in a plastic baggie and crushed)
1 teaspoon ground cumin (I'm not a fan of cumin, so I just used a dash)
1 teaspoon salt or Vege-Sal
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 green peppers

Preheat over to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl combine the ground beef, onion, garlic, 1/2 cup of the tomatoes with chilies, the egg, half-n-half, pork rind crumbs, and seasonings.  Use clean hands to combine everything well.  Cut the peppers in half from top to bottom and scoop out the seeds and core.  Form the meat mixture into 6 equal balls and press each into a pepper half, mashing it down a little to fill the peppers.  Arrange peppers in a baking pan as you stuff them.  Spoon the remaining tomatoes over the top and bake for 75-90 minutes.

Makes 6 servings

Total carbs is 7g

Recipe from 1001 Low-Carb Recipes by Dana Carpender

No comments:

Post a Comment