Welcome to our site

At the beginning of the year 2012, Carey and I went on a low-carb diet. Now notice, I didn't say no carb diet. Low-carb. We have lost weight, which we are greatly happy about. And we have begun cooking a lot more than what we had been doing. There are TONS of receipes online and I recently bought a huge cookbook that we can't wait to break in to.

Posted are the receipes we try. Some we like, some we don't. As we try them, I will post them for you to try. We do hope you like them and like the idea of low-carbs.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Potato Soup

We made this recently and it shocked me!  Very good and definitely a keeper.  5 stars


MOCK POTATO SOUP
 
1 medium cauliflower, cut into small chunks (I used fresh)
1 small onion, diced, 2 1/2 ounces (I used the chopped up kind found in the freezer section)
3 cups chicken broth (I used three chicken bullion cubes in three cups water)
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup heavy cream (I used half n half)
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (I used block cheese the first time.  Used pre-shredded cheese on the leftovers and didn't really notice a difference)
3 pieces bacon, fried until crisp and crumbled, optional (I used the already cooked kind that you just heat up)
2 green onions, chopped, optional
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped

In a large pot, bring the cauliflower, onion and broth to a boil. Cover and simmer until the cauliflower is very tender, about 25-30 minutes. Use a hand mixer to puree the soup until completely smooth and thick. Add the butter and cream; mix well. (it kind of goes everywhere at first so be careful.  Once you add the cream it gets under control). Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with cheese, bacon, green onion and parsley. 

Makes about 6 cups or 6 big servings
Can be frozen without the toppings 

Each serving has 4g net carbs

No comments:

Post a Comment